Sound Like A Legend
The WA-251 is an all vacuum tube, large diaphragm, transformer balanced, multi-pattern, large condenser microphone, based on the classic ‘251 that has been used on countless hit records for the last 50+ years. The WA-251 is designed for pro studio, home studio, live, and broadcast applications and sounds great on vocals, acoustic/electric guitars, acoustic/electric bass, drums, piano, strings, brass/woodwind instruments, and an array of other sources.
A Look Inside
The WA-251 utilizes a custom reproduction of the vintage CK12 style capsule that was used in the classic ‘251 microphone - designed with a similar hole pattern and frequency response. Our version of this capsule (model# WA-12-B-60v) is carefully manufactured by an Australian capsule supplier and is precisely reproduced to the vintage specs. We are pleased to offer such a great CK12 style capsule re-incarnation because it allows us to nail the sonics of the most important piece of the formula.
A Slovak Republic JJ 12AY7 vacuum tube is used in the WA-251. We auditioned 3 tube brands and fell in love with the JJ 12AY7. The frequency response of the JJ tube, and the way it contributes to the circuit is tonally smooth and vintage in nature.
The WA-251 utilizes an American made CineMag USA transformer. This transformer helps provide the present top end and the LARGE bottom end one would hope to get from a 251-style condenser microphone.
The WA-251 proudly uses polystyrene coupling capacitors, wima film capacitors throughout, and an imported Solen French capacitor on its output.
One component of a tube microphone that is often overlooked is the 7 pin cable that connects the microphone to its power supply. When auditioning the WA-251 and other tube microphones we learned quite a bit about 7 pin cables and how the shielding and wire gauge size can drastically change the sonics of a tube microphone. We have partnered with Gotham Audio in Switzerland to use their very carefully built high-end 7 pin “GAC-7 cable”. Using this cable increases top end presence and the overall size of the recorded image in the stereo field by reducing phase shift and the parasitic effect often experienced in poorly built cables. Gotham Cabling is very expensive and boutique in nature and shouldn’t be considered a small addition to the WA-251 package.
- CUSTOM WA-12-B-60V EDGE TERMINATED, DUAL-BACKPLATE,
ALL-BRASS VINTAGE CK12-STYLE CAPSULE
- CINEMAG USA OUTPUT TRANSFORMER
- JJ SLOVAK 12AY7 VACUUM TUBE
- GOTHAM 5 METER GAC-7, 7-PIN TUBE MICROPHONE CABLE
- WIMA, SOLEN FRENCH, AND POLYSTYRENE CAPACITORS
- POLAR PATTERNS: 3 PATTERNS - CARDIOID, OMNI, FIGURE-OF-EIGHT
- FREQUENCY RANGE: 20 HZ~20 KHZ
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 200 OHMS
- MAXIMUM SPL: 132DB (<0.5% THD)
- RATED LOAD IMPEDANCE: ≥2KOHMS
- S/N RATIO: 80DBA
- EQUIVALENT NOISE: 12DBA (IEC651)
- EXTERNAL IEC GROUNDED PSU
- TOTAL WEIGHT (MIC, PSU, SHOCKMOUNT, CABLES) - 12 LBS
- MIC DIMENSIONS: 247MM X 46MM
- DYNAMIC RANGE: 125DBA
- INCLUDES: MICROPHONE, WOOD BOX, PSU, SHOCK-MOUNT AND GOTHAM CABLE.